Commencement and Baccalaureate 2017
Additional Commencement Information/Links
The Baccalaureate service will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday, May 19, 2017 on the Campus Mall.
Dinner will be held following the Baccalaureate service at approximately 7 p.m. in the Main Dining Hall of the Kline Campus Center.
Commencement exercises will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 20, 2017 on the Campus Mall.
Thunder/Lightning Plans For Baccalaureate and Commencement
On the off chance that we would experience a thunder/lightning storm before or while Baccalaureate and/or Commencement Exercises are underway, we will need to pause the ceremony. Everyone will need to vacate the tent and all guests must move indoors. If this becomes necessary, an announcement will be made from the podium, and we will stop (or delay the start of) the ceremony. The ceremony will resume (or begin) as directed by the announcement from the podium.
For Baccalaureate, the ceremony will resume in Nininger Hall approximately 30 minutes after we exit the tent.
- Seniors should proceed directly to the downstairs hallway in Nininger Hall to re-form the line-up.
- Faculty should proceed directly to Nininger and take their seats in the front of the gymnasium.
- Guests should proceed directly to Nininger and be seated.
- Everyone should take all personal belongings, as we will not be returning to the tent.
For Commencement, the service will resume in the tent approximately 30 minutes after the last sign of thunder or lightning. The remainder of the exercises will resume at the point they were paused. Guests will be notified when they can return to the tent.
If we announce a thunderstorm delay during the ceremony:
- Seniors will proceed to the downstairs hallway in Nininger Hall to re-form the line-up.
- Seniors will then re-process back to their seats.
- Faculty will proceed to the hallway on the main level of Nininger Hall between the gym and the pool and then retake their seats prior to the return of the students.
- All guests will need to exit the tent and find shelter indoors in any of the surrounding buildings.
- Everyone should take all personal belongings, as, depending on the length of the storm, it may not be possible to resume the exercises in the tent.
In the event that the thunderstorm is prolonged, it may be necessary to conclude the ceremony in Nininger Hall. Guests will be informed if a decision is made to move the ceremony to Nininger Hall.
Seniors are given two blue thunderstorm tickets at Commencement Rehearsal. These tickets will allow for two (2) guests to view the conclusion of the Commencement Exercises in Nininger Hall. All other guests will need to view the remainder of the Commencement Exercises from a remote viewing location (Bowman Hall, the Boitnott Room in Rebecca Hall, the Main Dining Hall in Kline Campus Center and Cole Hall), or by using an internet-capable electronic device from any place on campus.
Please note that these contingency plans are ONLY in the event of a thunder/lightning storm as announced from the podium during either ceremony. In the case of rain alone, all exercises will still be held under the tent.